THE PURPOSES OF PTA
- To promote the welfare of children and youth in home, school, community, and place of worship.
- To raise the standards of home life.
- To secure adequate laws for the care and protection of children and youth.
- To bring into closer relation the home and the school, that parents and teachers may cooperate intelligently in the education of children and youth.
- To develop between educators and the general public such united efforts as will secure for all children and youth the highest advantages in physical, mental, social, and spiritual education.
The PTA District
A PTA district is a subsidiary organization in a designated geographical area, established by the California State PTA to facilitate the administration of the affairs of the California State PTA and the carrying out of its program.
PTAs are unique. Their focus is only the health, education and well-being of children. PTAs are organizations of parents, teachers, students and other individuals who join together because of their commitment to children. PTA membership is open to all, from those who only care about their own child to those who desire to become actively involved, and care for all children.
PTAs are based in local schools, offering parents and other interested parties an opportunity to become directly involved with the education and welfare of children. PTAs provide members with the latest information on health, safety and welfare. PTA volunteers advocate in Sacramento and Washington, D.C., to affect legislation in the best interest of all children. PTAs provide nonpartisan information to help voters understand current issues. PTAs provide information and programs on parenting, children’s mental and physical health issues as well as educational concerns.
PTA has been making a difference for 100 years, not because it’s old, but because it’s good!
CALIFORNIA STATE PTA: CORE VALUES
The California State PTA is a professional, non-profit volunteer organization committed to the well-being of all children.
- We believe every adult has a responsibility to ensure that all children develop to their full potential.
- We believe parents are children’s first teachers and that parent involvement is essential throughout a child’s educational experience.
- We believe that family is the basic unit of society responsible for the support and nurturing of all children, and we recognize that “the family” may be defined in many ways.
- We believe our responsibility includes advocating for the safety and welfare of all children and the opportunity for a quality public education for each child.
THE NATIONAL PTA
National PTA® comprises millions of families, students, teachers, administrators, and business and community leaders devoted to the educational success of children and the promotion of parent involvement in schools.
PTA is a registered 501(c)(3) nonprofit association that prides itself on being a powerful voice for all children, a relevant resource for families and communities, and a strong advocate for public education. Membership in PTA is open to anyone who wants to be involved and make a difference for the education, health, and welfare of children and youth.