2017-18 Thirty-Second District PTA Reflections Results
Congratulations to the Reflections entries that have advanced to the California State PTA level!
Primary (K-2) – Maggie Kruger Las ,Trampas Creek, Parkmead Elementary PTA
Intermediate (3-5) – Geneva Reese, Las Trampas Creek, Buena Vista Elementary PTA
Middle (6-8) – Ryken Adams-Barnes, Martinez, Martinez Junior High PTSA
High School (9-12) – Quinn Erickson, Mt Diablo, College Park High School PTSA
Primary (K-2) – Anjali Sandil, San Ramon Valley, Live Oak PTA
Intermediate (3-5) – Maile Yutangco, Mt Diablo, Gregory Gardens Elementary PTA
Middle (6-8) – Ariana Schwarz, San Ramon Valley, Los Cerros Middle School PTA
High School (9-12) – Madyn Garretson, Bayside, El Cerrito High PTA
Special Artist (any grade) – Jane Coggins-Meek, Las Trampas Creek, Walnut Creek Intermediate PTA
Primary (K-2) – Emilia Donati, San Ramon Valley, Coyote Creek Elementary PTA
Intermediate (3-5) – Madeline Roytfeld, San Ramon Valley, Greenbrook Elementary PTA
Middle (6-8) – Isha Sarkar, San Ramon Valley, Windemere Ranch PTSA
High School (9-12) – Alexis Iritani, San Ramon Valley, Monte Vista High PTSA
Primary (K-2) – Samantha Kritzer, San Ramon Valley, Twin Creeks Elementary School PTA
Intermediate (3-5) – Lucas Zhou, San Ramon Valley, Live Oak PTA
Middle (6-8) – Connor Johnson, Las Trampas Creek, Joaquin Moraga Intermediate School PTA
Primary (K-2) – Tessa Dente, Las Trampas Creek, Lafayette Elementary PTA
Intermediate (3-5) – Sienna Stocco, San Ramon Valley, Golden View Elementary PTA
Middle (6-8) – Daniel Mone, Las Trampas Creek, Stanley Middle School PTA
High School (9-12) – Alison Colcord, Mt Diablo, College Park High School PTSA
Primary (K-2) – Stella Ciarlantini, Las Trampas Creek, Lafayette Elementary PTA
Intermediate (3-5) – Kayla Welch, Martinez, Morello Park Elementary PTA
Middle (6-8) – Sophie Hevel, Las Trampas Creek, Joaquin Moraga Intermediate School PTA
High School (9-12) – Danielle Griffith, Mt Diablo, College Park High School PTSA
Special Artist (all grades) – Jane Coggins-Meek, Las Trampas Creek, Walnut Creek Intermediate PTA
Many thanks to all of the students who submitted beautiful work in visual arts, literature, photography, film, dance and music composition! This year’s theme – What Is Your Story?, brought to the district level many outstanding pieces that were submitted from all of the six councils in our district, which encompasses all of Contra Costa County. We wish we could send every submission forward, but cannot.
All students who made it to the district level are to be commended on their terrific work. Judging is being done at the state level and from there the pieces that California State PTA decides which will advance to the National PTA.
A big thank you to the unit Reflection chairs and council Reflection chairs for their hard work to ensure that this important program continues. Also, a big thank you to the parents and teachers who encourage our students to participate and express their artistic talents!”
Since 1969, the National PTA Reflections Program has encouraged millions of students across the nation and in American schools overseas to explore their artist talents. The goal of the Reflections program is participation and appreciation for the arts. Although the Reflections Program follows a “contest” format, winning should not be the emphasis. Last year throughout California 65,000 students participated in Reflections.
The Reflections Program is a great way for students to explore and learn about various art forms. Creating art is a valuable learning process that challenges students to use their critical thinking skills as well as their creative talents to create art that supports a specific theme. Students may submit an entry in any of following six arts areas: Literature, Musical composition, Photography, Visual Arts, Dance Choreography and Film/Video Production. Only original works of art are accepted. Depending on local PTA guidelines, students may enter more than one work of art.
Please remember that:
- Students may submit entries only through a PTA or PTSA in good standing.
- All entries submitted must be original works and must relate to the annual Reflections Program theme.
- Each entry must be the work of only one student. Assistance from teachers, parents or friends is not permitted except in special cases (such as for those with visual or physical disabilities)
- Participation encourages creativity and exploration. Students should do their best, but crooked lines, incorrect musical notes, or misspelled words do not disqualify anyone.
The time frame of the Reflections Program is:
August – October
- Promote Reflections, recruit judges, reserve showcase facility, and order awards; work with PTA President with budget
October – November
- Units to submit Reflections entries to their Councils. Units and Councils Host Reflections Showcases
- California State PTA Deadline for Theme search submissions. Students send submissions directly to California State PTA Office
- Deadline for Thirty-Second District PTA councils (and out of council unit) to submit Reflections entries. Please contact Liz Bettis for location and times
- California State PTA to announce California State PTA Reflections award recipients
March – May
- Units, Councils and District PTAs to evaluate Reflections program for current year, recruit new Reflections Chairs if needed and plan budgets for Reflections 2015-16
- Recognition of California State PTA State PTA Convention in Sacramento. Return of Photography and Visual Art entries last day of Convention
Future Reflections Theme Contest
The National PTA’s Reflections Program annual theme search offers another great way for students to get involved in the Reflections Program. Encourage students to brainstorm and imagine a theme that will appeal to others in preschool through grade 12. For submitting the award-winning theme, the student receives $100 and recognition at the National PTA convention in June. To submit a student’s suggestions for a Reflections Program theme, complete the entry form and send it to California State PTA by November 1.
For the Student Theme Search Entry Form and to learn more: Click Here
New Rules for all Reflections entries given to the Thirty-Second District
- Title Required
- Artist Statement Required
- Naming of and Labeling of Entries
Reflections Ribbons, Certificates, Pins, Medallions, and Stickers from the California PTA Store